My elder boy’s school is closed for today and tomorrow so there will be no bento for him. He will be having fresh and hot home cooked food at the nanny for the whole day so I don’t even bother to pack him anything. My nanny is a good cook!
So I think I’ll take this chance to share one of the tutorials that I promised to do a long while ago. If you can still remembered this baby crab bento I made, today I’m going to share the steps to make the cute sausage crab.
Firstly, these are the tools and ingredients required:
1. Small size sausages (one sausage to make one crab)
2. A slice of cheese
4. Uncooked spaghetti
5. Small round shape cutter (the smallest size that can fit as the eyes of the crab)
6. Kitchen knife
8. A facial seaweed puncher (I used one of the facial expression mini punchers from Carla craft)
So here are the steps, follow the pictures clockwise.
1. Cut off the two ends of the sausage.
2. Slice the sausage into ¼ and ¾ size as show in the picture. Now you will get one slice that is thicker than the other.
3. Use the thinner slice, cut into 4 equal size stripes, the cut the stripes horizontally. Now you get a total of 8 small pieces of the sausage with one thick end and one slender end which you will use for the legs of the baby crab. Leave these aside.
4. Now take the two cut off ends (from step 1) of the sausage, cut them into half and use the one of the flat end, cut as per the photo for the for the claw of the baby crab.
5. Repeat the same for the other circle to get a pair of claws.
6. Now arrange all the small pieces you’ve cut to form a crab.
7. Secured all the pieces to the main body part with tiny uncooked spaghetti stripes.
8. Now let us work on the facial detail of the crab. Use the small circle cutter to cut off two tiny circles from the cheese.
9. Use the seaweed puncher to punch the eye balls and the mouth for the crab.
10. For the seaweed punched out with this particular Carla Craft puncher, I wouldn’t want to nose to be there so I cut it off with scissors. I only need the eyes and the mouth parts.
11. Now assembled everything onto the crab – cheese for the eyes and seaweed for the eye balls, and the mouth looks like a number 3 (if you have a number 3 punchers you can use that too!). Stick all these to the crab with a little amount of mayonnaise.
Now you have you cute little baby crab to decorate your bento. Hope you have a fun time making this cute crabby!